Tuesday, August 27, 2013

5. Burning the Jersey: Beating Geneva in the 2013 Tennis Season

Personally, the Geneva-Perry tennis rivalry dates back to 7th grade when I played my first ever tennis tournament for the middle school team. It was a doubles tournament and I paired up with my best friend Dom Gagliardi. In the semifinal match, a rivalry would be born that still lasts to this day. Dom and I played a team from Geneva featuring Jacob Groce and Ford Carlisle. Dom and I ended up winning in a 3rd set tiebreak and eventually winning the whole tournament. But at that point Dom and I were invited to play with the Geneva guys that summer at their annual tennis camp. Becoming very familiar with the Geneva tennis guild, featuring Coach Dubsky leading the charge, friendships became to be born. The next year in 8th Grade, we had a dual match against Geneva. Our team won and one particular conversation with Coach Dubsky motivated me to do more than that. I won the Geneva summer tournament that year and as a prize I almost got a Geneva Tennis jersey. And I even told Coach Dubsky if he gave me that, I would burn it. His response was, “Once Perry beats Geneva, I’ll personally give you a jersey to burn.” But I explained how our middle school team beat Geneva in middle school tennis and he said in high school tennis. You see, the tricky part to this argument was that Perry had never beaten Geneva in tennis is school history (for high school). So to do this history would also be made. I made sure to let Coach Dubsky know that it would happen by the time I graduate.

Unfortunately, in 9th grade Geneva wasn’t on our schedule. Once again in 10th grade Geneva wasn’t on our schedule again. However this time, our coaches took a proactive approach and at least set up a scrimmage. For this scrimmage I was really nervous as it was my first ever match at 1st singles. I ended up beating Jake McMahan (who beat me two year prior to that 6-1, 6-0) but that was not enough as our team still lost 4-1. Even though we lost, it wouldn’t have truly counted anyways as a match.

Onto 11th Grade. For the first time in my high school career Geneva was on our schedule for the season. We were scheduled to play at home but due to rain the match got moved indoors to our home club Pine Lake. Our team lost 5-0, after Dan lost a tough 3 set match at 2nd singles and I lost a memorable match to my friend (and still my rival) Jacob Groce. Our match started at 3:30 and ended at 7 (3 ½ hours for you math scholars). Jacob won 3-6, 6-4, 7-6. It was great tennis on both of our end but it ended up being his day in the end. So with the 3 other bad losses at the other positions, that 5-0 loss would stick with us for the next year.

Now, story time. In Pine Lake’s first annual preseason tournament, Jacob got the best of me and won 7-5, 6-0 (in the final). In the regular season we were supposed to play Geneva on the road. But once again due to rain the match got moved indoors to Pine Lake. In terms of lineups, our team was going to sacrifice our 3rd singles spot, in order to focus on getting a win or two at doubles so we could win the team match. However, Geneva had an idea we’d do that so they did that too. Except their “sacrifice” ended up beating ours, putting them up 1-0. As for my match, I was matched up to play (you guessed it) Jacob Groce. I jumped out to a quick lead, closing out the first set winning 6-2 in a reasonable amount of time. Between Jake not being on his game and getting frustrated, I turned the tides from last year winning 6-2, 6-2. So now it was 1-1. However, Geneva once again took the lead after they won at 1st doubles in convincing fashion. 2-1 Geneva. Dan had a big lead on Brock Ebersole so I was not concerned about him. But to be honest I thought we lost anyways with me thinking our 2nd doubles lost. However I went to sit down on the benches off the courts and our 2nd doubles team came off saying they won. T$ and Ryan Best had won their best match of the year when we truly needed it. Was this real? We were about to beat Geneva for the first time in school history. It all came down to Dan. After a few tight points from the both of them, Dan did it. He clinched the win for us to become our first team in school history to beat Geneva. I went out the court and gave him a big hug and we were all so excited. Mr. Walker had me go to Georgio’s to pick up pizzas to celebrate our victory. This win meant so much to everyone on our team, considering last year we lost 5-0. This match also swung the momentum (p in physics) for our team and boosted our confidence. Considering the exclusive coverage that Geneva tennis gets, it was ironic that when we beat them no one from the Star Beacon did a story on it. Interesting.
 
Now back to that jersey. I never asked Coach Dubsky for that jersey to burn. I think just knowing our team beat his team was enough. However, in July I played a mixed doubles tournament at Geneva with long time friend Ann Johnson. We won the tournament, allowing for me to receive another prize. When it came time to pick, I chose the Geneva Tennis jersey. Coach Dubsky saw me take it and said I better take good care of it and represent it well when I wear it. I think he had forgotten about our wager that was made back in 8th grade. But nonetheless I now have one in my possession. So the real question is should I burn it like I intended? Or keep it to reflect on the rivalry that once was between Perry and Geneva tennis. I do not know the answer now, but only time will tell.   
 
Goodnight,
Fry That Chicken
 


PS Comment and tell me what I should do. I'd love to hear your thoughts. And just a side note, Jacob and I trained together on a regular basis throughout high school, and all summer this year. We are now the best of friends and we actually played on a team together this summer and we got 8th in the Midwest (even without our top 2 guys Shouta and Vince). And ironically last night, I was made aware of a tweet (tweeted by NEO Sports Battles).
So for those of you that need interpretation, you vote by retweeting the tweet to vote for me or you favorite the tweet to vote for Jacob. As you can see I won this round. I had a slight unfair advantage as many Perry people follow this account, unlike Geneva people. But I actually texted Jake after I saw this and we both laughed about it. I guess one last competition didn't hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment