Sunday, August 25, 2013

7. Winning the CVC Tennis Tournament for my 4th and Final Time


(Finally something about me actually playing a sport). The pressure was certainly on. No
one in school history had ever won the CVC tennis tournament all 4 years of high school. The person who came the closest to achieving this feat was my private coach Rob Walker. The downfall of Rob came in his senior year losing his first ever final at the CVC tournament. So obviously I did not want history to repeat itself in the fashion that it did in 1999. My opponent for the CVC final was Scott Adsit from Aurora. He was a very good player whom I had beaten 6 previous times without ever losing to him before. Would the seventh time be a charm for Scott? Our most previous meeting was a 2 ½ hour slugfest at Western Reserve Racquet Club, coming down from 4-1 in the first set, and 5-4 in both sets to win 7-5, 7-5. Fortunately for myself, in the CVC final I condensed that 2 ½ hours to 45 minutes, beating Scott 6-0, 6-1 in easy fashion. I had done it. I became the first person in school history to win 4 CVC titles in tennis (3 Conference MVPs as well).

1 comment:

  1. that was a good match and im glad i was there to see you kick some booty! (: good job guthguth !

    ReplyDelete