Saturday, August 31, 2013

Del Potro out, Bogomolov loses strange match; US Open Day 5 Recap

Howdy,

Sorry about not posting my recap until now, and having my predictions look like I typed them out from my phone: which I did...

For those of you who don't know I made a surprise trip home to Cleveland this weekend (I decided I'd come back around 10 last night). So when I realized I forgot to make my predictions, I pulled over to a rest stop and typed them out real quick.

Also for those of you who don't know, I was at the urgent care hospital facility in Westminster, MD due to illness (I am recovering), so I only got to watch 2 matches yesterday as well.

So the first match I watched, I was drinking an Arnold Palmer and feeling like I got hit by a bus, as I layed in my bed. This match featured American Wildcard Tim Smyczek and Russian Alex Bogomolov Jr. Bogomolov in the past has let his emotions hold him back from becoming a great player. A big win of his is when he beat Andy Murray in the 2nd round of the Miami tournament in 2011. Since his big year in 2011 and switching his allegiance to Russia (from the USA), he has not done much as a player. This news report and video shows Bogomolov quitting a match this summer after he got frustrated:

 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/08/alex-bogomolov-jr-quits-match-tennis_n_3561849.html

Onto the match: I started watching in the 5th set, and Smyczek was up a break at 2-1. Bogomolov then fought back to earn 2 break points, but couldn't convert. So with Smyczek up 3-1, Bogomolov picked up the pace and went up 4-3 in the 5th set. After Smyczek held his serve, Bogomolov was up 30-15 (at 4-4) when out of nowhere he called the trainer and took an injury timeout. It appeared that he was having cramping problems in his quadricep. After he returned to the court though, Smyczek went on to win the next 7 of 8 points (I believe) to win the match 3-6, 7-6, 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. Was Bogomolov really hurting that bad, or was just this another instance of him bailing out of a match?
Smyczek will play Spaniard Marcel Granollers in the 3rd round.

My last match of the day I watched was Juan Martin Del Potro play Lleyton Hewitt.  I actually just got back from hanging out with some of the guys on the tennis team at McDaniel and was ready to go to bed when I saw 2012 NCAA Singles Champion Chase Buchanan tweet LLEYTON! I actually met Chase at a pro tournament in Cleveland this summer, so I tweeted back at him asking if Lleyton won. Chase replied and said they just started the 5th set. I thought, "A 5th set in a night match at the US Open? I'm in." So I went out to the common room in my dorm to watch. As I watched the 5th set, it was incredible seeing Lleyton the way he played. At this point in his career, it was great to see this performance out of him against the 2009 US Open Champion. I also noticed Del Potro for whatever reason sort of bowed out in the 5th set and didn't really look enthused. It looked just the way he played John Isner in the Cincinnati Semifinals a few weeks ago, after John saved a match point and came back to win. Whatever the case, Hewitt was the winner as he won 6-4, 5-7, 3-6, 7-6, 6-1. The Aussie will play Russian Evgeny Donosky in the 3rd round.

So with being home for the weekend I am only making a few promises with my blog:
I am delaying my HS Sports moments further, and am still expecting guesses at what they are,
I will have a daily US Open recap with my predictions,
and tonight I will work on my Junior US Open preview.

Thank you for understanding and have a great day,
Fry That Chicken

I went 11-5 Friday and am now 64-31 with my picks


No comments:

Post a Comment