Tuesday, December 3, 2013

An Inside Look at College Football

After the crazy day of college football on Saturday, did you really think I would go without writing about it? Especially since the day included my beloved Ohio State Buckeyes? Well I am currently feeling very under the weather, so I am currently accompanied by a big bag of popcorn and Gatorade so I don't fall asleep while typing. Well let's get started on Saturday's games. The Ohio State Buckeyes were going into Michigan with a 23 game winning streak against a 7-4 Michigan team. But regardless of the preview, when a team goes to their arch rival's field, anything can happen. And it did. Michigan struck first, and it was a back and forth scoring slugfest. The performance got interrupted though when a fight broke out on the field. On a Dontre Wilson (Ohio State) kickoff return, the fight then broke out after words and after a Michigan player was ejected and along with


Marcus Hall and Dontre Wilson. Kudos to the ESPN announcers for naming Ohio State's players "Dontrelle Willis" and "Marius Hall." They screwed up the sport, as Dontrelle Willis is a major league baseball pitcher (as seen below). But back to the action, the Buckeyes then took a 35-21 lead


in the second half. But of course what kind of game would it be if Michigan didn't come back? Michigan tied the game up at 35-35 in the 4th quarter, but that was changed after Carlos Hyde ran the ball in for a touchdown for the Bucks. With little time left, Devin Gardner led the Wolverines to score, capped off by a touchdown pass to Devin Fauchness. All of my friends I was with predicted the next play to happen: to go for 2 and win the game versus just go for the tie. In a rivalry game like this against the number 3 team in the nation, why not go for it all? It's not every day a team can hang in with the Buckeyes, so if you have a chance to defeat your rival and ruin their perfect season, do it. And Brady Hoake did. Due to copyrights, I can't get the video up here. But I suggest you click this link to see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf4RnsEwGnE Ohio State's Tyvis Powell intercepted Gardner to secure the win for the Buckeyes on the 2 point conversion. Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes extended their streak to 24 straight games, and fortunately Meyer's first loss as a Buckeye will not be against Michigan (unless in the future they lose if they're still undefeated).

So with that said, the Buckeyes needed either Florida State or Alabama to lose one of their final games. Well unfortunately Florida State only had to deal with Florida, a team that lost to Georgia Southern the week before, and then Duke. As a matter of fact, yesterday was the first day of classes for GSU students since the win, and they served gator meat in their dining hall. So Florida State obviously won Saturday. But Alabama would be facing the number 4 ranked team in the nation in Auburn. I got a text around 4:00 on Saturday from my college tennis coach saying, it's a long ride back to Tuscaloosa. So I thought Auburn was already pulling away but when I flipped the TV on, it was only 7-0 with Alabama having possession. So I was mislead with that text. I later turned on the game to see Alabama was up 2 touchdowns...."Well this one is over," I thought. But I was glad I was wrong. Later in the night, I saw Twitter and saw that it was about to be overtime in that game so I turned the game on once again. And this is what I saw:


I'm not sure if kicking a FG at that point was the smart choice, especially with a kicker whose career long was around 20 yards (as it was a 57 yd. FG attempt), but who am I to question Nick Saban about football? Nonetheless, this helped move Ohio State to number 2 in the BCS standings, a spot that will put them in the national title game if it holds up one more week. Ohio State will play Michigan St. in the Big 10 Championship and will need to win that one first. Duke will play Florida State for the ACC Championship.

So as most people believe the SEC conference is the best, and deserve to have a team in the BCS National Title game, here is what I think of each conference:

SEC: 3. Auburn 4. Alabama 5. Missouri. I believe the SEC is the strongest conference. However, I do not feel that Auburn or Alabama have a good case right now to get in (if OSU and FSU still are undefeated). Their nonconference schedule is a easier than Ohio State's and Alabama and Auburn don't beat the teams they play by very much either. They both had tight wins to Mississippi State. I think the SEC is highly overrated this year, but still are the best conference. There just isn't as big of a gap between conferences as usual. Missouri however only has one loss without their starting QB in double overtime. If they win against Auburn in the SEC title game, I would say they have a case for being in the title game. But I don't see a case for Auburn or Alabama.

Big 10: A juggernaut football conference in the cold weather. So the best results may not be produced but there is still great football being played. With an undefeated record at this point, Ohio State deserves a shot at playing for a national championship. They have beat 10/12 they've played by 10 or more points, so they aren't slipping by as everyone is implying. Sure, their defense has some questions. But at this point, they deserve to be in. I'm not saying on any given day they are at least the 2nd best team in the nation, but with their given schedule, they did what they had to do and any other team can't say that (except for Florida State and Northern Illinois).

ACC: A conference that slowly slipped throughout the year. I don't believe it's the second best conference as it used to be, but still not awful. But nonetheless, it is about the same level as the Big 10 (if the Big 10 is not better) in my eyes.

PAC-12: They are a conference that features teams that flash national championship potential, but the consistency is obviously lacking.

Big East: No threat to the BCS National Championship game.

Big 12: Baylor Who? Oklahoma State deserves to be in a BCS game for sure, but not the national championship.

Stay tuned for next weeks championship games and bowl selections.




No comments:

Post a Comment