Sunday, December 22, 2013

Australian Open Wildcard Playoff Day 2 Recap

I was hoping to have another story about Chase Buchanan after day 2, but unfortunately his run came to a close as 2 time NCAA Singles champion Steve Johnson of USC knocked him off 6-0, 6-4. In the other semifinal, Tennys Sandgren knocked off Denis Kudla 6-3, 7-6. Both Kudla and Sandgren train with each other in Boca Raton, Florida and they even went out to dinner after the match. The final between Johnson and Sandgren will be a best of 5 set match, like it will be in Australia. Johnson has the edge in this category as he played all 4 main draws of the majors last year, while Sandgren has never played a best of 5 set match before. The winner will have a spot in the main draw singles of the 2014 Australian Open in January.

I went 1-1 in my picks Saturday, so I am 4-2 now. Here is my last pick:
Sandgren def. Johnson (Sorry I haven't given Johnson any love this weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment