Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Djokovic cruises, Youzhny comes back; US Open Day 9 Recap

For the first time, I went perfect in my selections. However there were only 4 matches, but I did call the upset of Tomas Berdych.

Novak Djokovic is showing signs of being ready to win another Grand Slam title, as he cruised past Spaniard Marcel Granollers 6-3, 6-0, 6-0. In Granollers defense, he had played three 5 set matches before meeting Djokovic. He most likely just had no gas left, even though with gas it would've been a huge task still.

Mikhail Youzhny ended Lleyton Hewitt's impressive run at the US Open, coming back from 2 sets to 1 down to win 6-3, 3-6, 7-6, 6-4, 7-5.

Andy Murray faced a tough challenge in Denis Istomin, winning 6-7, 6-1, 6-4, 6-4.

9 seed Stan Wawrinka came down from a set down to beat 5th seeded Tomas Berdych. After losing the first set, Wawrinka raced out to a 5-0 lead in the 2nd set before taking it 6-1. He then lost a little focus as he served for the third set, up 5-4. Berdych came up with some big shots to tie it at 5-5. Once in the tiebreak, the Swiss gained control again to take the 3rd set, eventually going onto win 3-6, 6-1, 7-6, 6-2. This win helped put Wawrinka even closer to becoming the top ranked player from Switzerland, as he is gaining on the great Roger Federer.

I was 4-0 on Tuesday, an now I am at 83-36 overall. Here are my picks for Wednesday:
Rafael Nadal (Spain) vs. Tommy Rebredo (Spain)
Robredo derailed the Fed Express, as Federer played flawless tennis in his prior match for Adrian Mannarino. I don't think he will be able to do the same against Nadal, who heated up in his match versus Kohlschreiber.
My Pick: Rafael Nadal
David Ferrer (Spain) vs. Richard Gasquet (France)
I like Gasquet in this match-up, especially with David Ferrer struggling this summer. However, coming off a long match against Milos Raonic, I don't see Gasquet getting past the work-horse in David Ferrer this time around.
My Pick: David Ferrer

No comments:

Post a Comment