Monday, September 30, 2013

From Midwest to East Coast: The Terminology Barrier

One night at dinner at my college in Maryland I mentioned something about drinking pop and the one person I was eating with looked at me in total confusion. I didn't know what was to be confused about when someone else I was eating with translated, "Soda is called pop in parts of the Midwest." I found this very odd but from then on I have yet to hear someone out here call those types of drinks pop (which I must say is annoying in its own sense).

Other interesting differences I have experienced is that people here pronounce the word organization as, organ-eye-zation versus organ-ah-zation. Another pronunciation difference is the word tournament. Us "Midwesterners" (maybe I just made that term up?) say it as turn-ah-ment versus people out here say torn-ah-ment. Which I must say makes it sounds more sophisticated.

There are no Huntington Banks, Giant Eagles, or Convenient Stores here, but there is BB&T Bank, Giant, and Wawa.

Also, Baltimore doesn't have a team in the 2013 MLB Playoffs! (Roll Tribe).



No comments:

Post a Comment